This is a weeknight pantry curry that comes together in the time it takes to boil water for the rice noodles. Fast! For this recipe, blooming the ginger, turmeric, and black pepper in oil is essential for releasing their aromatic properties into the coconut milk-based sauce.
from Bon Apptit.
- Kosher salt
- 10 ounces rice vermicelli (or other noodles)
- 2 Tablespoons virgin coconut oil or vegetable oil
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 1 piece ginger, peeled, finely grated
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper, plus more
- 1 13.5-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 teaspoons honey
- 1 Tablespoon fish sauce
- Toasted unsweetened shredded coconut (for serving)
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Remove from heat; add noodles. Let sit, stirring occasionally, until al dente, about 4 minutes (time may vary by brand). Drain and rinse under cold running water.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large saucepan over medium. Cook onion and garlic, stirring often, until softened and golden, about 3 minutes. Add ginger, turmeric, and 1 tsp. pepper and cook, stirring, just until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add coconut milk, honey, and cup water. Bring to a simmer; cook until flavors come together, about 5 minutes.
- Mix fish sauce and noodles into broth; season with salt if needed. Divide among bowls and top with shredded coconut and more pepper.
serves 4.Did you find this post useful? Let us know by pinning us!