Pork Pho Recipe
- Servings: 4-6
- Difficulty: easy
A Vietnamese inspired recipe for those chilled winter days to warm the soul .
This recipe takes long to cook but the effort is minimal and the end result worth the time.The slow cooked broth is clear and flavorful with fork tender meat melting in our mouth.You can change the spice according to your liking or skip it altogether. Just the plain pork broth in itself is very flavorful.
Tips: Cook the pork broth in advance to whip up a quick bowl of Pho on week nights.
Pork broth Ingredients
- 2 pounds Pork neck bones
- 1 large onion
- 1 celory stick
- 1 carrot
- 1 stick lemon grass crushed.
- 1 slice bacon thinly chopped.
- 3 tbsp apple cider vineger.
- 1 pinch Tumeric powder[optional]
- 6 cups of water
Spice bag ingredients
- 2 star anise
- 3 cloves
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 1 lime leaf
- 4 whole pepper corns
To assemble Pho- The items are optional according to individual preference.
- 2 soft boiled eggs
- mung bean sprouts
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh spring onion
- Fresh mint leaves
- bacon crumble
- 2 tbsp crushed peanuts/ sesame seeds
- fish sauce
- soya sauce
- sesame oil
- red chilly flakes
- Noodles rice/vermicile/udan/bokchoy/chinese cabbage
Directions for Pork broth
- Wash and clean the pork neck bones thoroughly.
- Place the meat in a deep bottomed pot and add water till meat is covered and bring it to boil.
- At the first boil ,the blood and impurities float up as foam , discard all the water and rinse the meat.
- Refill the pot with 10 cups water ,add the pork bones and apple cider vinegar .
- Bring to a boil and let it shimmer for 3 hours.
Directions for Assembling Pho
- Place the Noodles of choice at the bottom of the serving dish.
- Next we place the toppings of our choice around rim of the dish. make sure to choose atleast- 1-protien[pork bones/eggs] , 1- fresh greens[mung sprouts/spring onion/mint] , 1 filler[noodles/bokchoy] ,1 spice[chilly flakes/fish sauce], some kind of crunch[bacon crumble/seaseme seeds].
- Add the broth on top of the toppings and serve hot!
Pork Pho with spring onion, enoki mushrooms and bacon crumble .
Pork Pho with chinese cabbage eggs bacon and Kimchi .
Pork Pho with rice noodles,pork bones and chilli flakes .