This dish came from an experiment of chuck it in and see what happens and it just so happened to be extremely tasty that I had to share the recipe. Now normally I chuck things in and then forget what on earth I put in, so I have made sure I have a pad of paper and a pen in the kitchen for these times so I can write down what goes in things, gone are those times where I make something I enjoy and completely forget what went in.
So as I always mention in a lot of recipes feel free to swap vegetables for your favourites or add in extras that may be sitting in the fridge waiting to be used up, you can also add chicken, replace met with quorn, or even add fish if you wish.
Some recommended items from our kitchen for this dish…
- Double sided dry and liquid measuring spoons for times when you need to measure both liquid and dry ingredients.
- A decent set of knives for chopping, with a knife sharpener which is always handy.
- Garlic crusher, we have had this one for a good while, easy to clean and can crush multiple cloves at once saving time.
- Non stick saucepans.
Take a pic of your dish and tag us over on Instagram @hickmans_slim_kitchen
Please make sure you credit us when sharing to social media. You can do this by directly linking back to the blog or tagging our social media pages.
Disclaimer: – Please do not screenshot these recipes, the Slimming World data base is always changing to protect our weight losses and syn values often change.
Please check your own brands of ingredients as they can vary from brand to brand. Syn values are correct as of posting our recipes but please check for yourself to protect your losses.
This blog is unofficial and not part of, or representative of Slimming World.
We are not trained by Slimming World nor authorised to give Slimming World advice and any advice that may be given should never replace the advice of your consultant.
Please note some posts contain affiliate links, you can find out what that means here.
Bacon & Bean Hotpot with Cheese Croutons
- 3 sticks of celery, chopped
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, seeds removed and chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeds removed and chopped
- 100g french green beans, chopped
- 1 tin butter beans, drained and rinsed
- 6 rashers bacon, fat removed and chopped
- 600ml vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 2 teaspoons cornflour, mixed with a little water to make a paste – 1 syn
For the croutons (per person):
- 1 Promise gluten free soft white roll per person – 1 HexB
- 40g light mature cheddar, grated, per person – 1 HexA
- In a saucepan add the bacon, celery and butternut squash and fry for a few minutes.
- Add the celery and pepper and fry for a further few minutes.
- Add the stock and cornflour and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add all other ingredients and simmer until the veg is cooked to your liking and the sauce has thickened slightly.
- Season well with salt and pepper if it needs it.
- Slice the rolls into pieces and lightly toast under the grill, turn the slices over and top with the cheese and grill until melted.
- Serve the croutons on top of the hotpot and enjoy.
NOTE: There is 1 syns worth of cornflour in this dish, but as this would serve between 4 and 6 people the syns would be neglegable.